Prediction: Smart clothing, body sensor shipments to reach 92.7M units in 2021

By Aditi Pai
11:41 am

Smart clothing and body sensor shipments will total 190 million between 2015 and 2021, according to a new prediction from Tractica. The report added that annual shipments will hit 92.7 million units at that time.

“Smart clothing and body sensors can be considered the ultimate wearables, integrating into your life as a garment, footwear, or sensor device that can track or measure a specific physiological or biometric attribute,” Tractica Research Director Aditya Kaul said in a statement. “Unlike fitness trackers, smart watches, or smart glasses, which have fairly well-defined form factors and use cases, smart clothing and body sensors are seeing a greater degree of experimentation and innovation.”

Some smart clothing and body sensor use cases that Kaul described included high fashion, medical devices, professional apparel, professional sports, mental wellness, and baby monitors.

Learn on-demand, earn credit, find products and solutions. Get Started >>

Tractica reports that body sensors will account for 70 percent of the market while smart clothing will represent the remaining 30 percent. Annual smart clothing shipments will grow from 968,000 units in 2015 to 24.8 million units in 2021, according to Tractica’s forecast. Tractica also expects annual body sensor shipments to increase from 2.7 million in 2015 to 68 million units by 2021.

Last year, Tractica reported that smart clothing shipments were expected to surpass 10.2 million units annually by 2020, up from 140,000 units in 2013. The report also found that body sensor shipments would decrease, from 3 million units in 2013 to 1.2 million by 2017. But the shipments would then increase to 3.1 million units in 2020.


The latest news in digital health delivered daily to your inbox.

Thank you for subscribing!
Error! Something went wrong!